The education system is constantly innovating to offer students the best learning techniques. With compelling and engaging audio and visual representation, video-based learning makes itself the most well-liked among learners.
Students can become more confident, knowledgable, attentive, and fulfilled with captivating visuals and verbal subject explanations.
Not only learners but teachers, as well as institutions, gain so much with video-based learning. Hence, various institutions, from kindergarten to universities, adopt this medium in their daily training and teaching techniques.
This teaching method is so advantageous that teachers and students can conveniently immerse themselves into the environment. So, video-based learning indeed allows your institution and your students to grow more in the most effective ways.
Here is a list of benefits that will make you eager to opt for this learning technique for your institution:
Video-Based Learning: A Primer
As its name suggests, video-based learning is the most efficient teaching method through visual experience. The various aspects of video-based learning, including text, graphics, camera footage, video, audio, and animation, build up a multimodal experience for learners and make it different from other e-learning formats.
Thus, there is no doubt that video-based learning dominates the overall learning and teaching methods. For instance, YouTube, the most reliable and engaging platform for videos, has around 2 billion users globally for the same reason.
Video-based learning is not just a trend; it boosts students’ will and makes them more interested in any subject. As per a survey, video-based learning techniques positively impact student retention rates. IDC (International Data Corporation) records suggest that 80% of the internet traffic globally is attributed to videos.
Before moving toward the benefits of video-based learning, let’s look at some examples.
Various Formats of Video-Based Learning
Video-based learning is a multi-disciplinary method that offers exceptional benefits. Here are some examples of video-based learning that you can use in your institution:
Institutions use interactive videos to create inviting environments to engage students in lessons. Interactive videos induce better retention and learning.
Nobody can remember everything, including courses; thus, interactive videos allow learners to interact with the content via various tools. It also helps learners make decisions depending on their adherence to knowledge.
For instance, many compliance training centers adopt interactive videos where trainers can participate as characters and better understand students’ points of view. Thus, making use of interactive videos is necessary.
Some techniques to make interactive contents are annotations, gamification, quizzes, etc.
Topics that are abstract or complex to understand become easier to learn with animation videos. Animated videos allow both visual and practical illustration of lessons. This makes it effortless for learners to execute the information.
In such videos, makers draw, design, illustrate, and generate computer effects to make them more engaging and eye-catching.
Let’s take the YouTube channel, Kurzesagt as an example. The channel earned billions of views on its animated videos teaching biology, philosophy, physics, and other complex lessons.
As the name suggests, microlearning videos are short but cover significant concepts. Learners can learn brief information about various concepts in approximately 30 to 60 seconds.
These videos are compelling because they take less time and give the learner information about the most relevant topic. This video-based learning method is also target-based, making it a successful training technique.
Narrative videos focus on creating a story for the learner, so the learner can make decisions by perceiving its positive and negative outcomes.
However, narrative video-based learning offers a host of voices alongside interactive points for a greater learning experience.
Advantages of Video-Based Learning in the Classroom
The flexibility and convenience of video-based learning make it a blessing for educational institutions, teachers, and students of every level.
So, let’s look at the various benefits of video-based learning:
- Versatile Staff and Faculty Training: For an institution, it is often challenging to gather all its staff and faculty simultaneously. Hence, they end up with fragmented information adoption. With video-based learning, institutions can ensure their staff and faculty have proper access to lessons. This also helps enhance recall and retention.
- Improve ROI of Institution: Using video-based learning in your institution will help you get a higher ROI (return on investment).
- Record Various Events: You can record your institution’s events and display them to people so they can know what activities are going on at your institution. It will help alums, parents, and students to be more connected, thereby building reliability and increasing positive engagement and recommendations from the students of your institution.
- Enhance Accessibility: You can enhance your campus accessibility via digital videos and help in conveying the attitude of practical public relations to alums, potential students, and parents. It acts as a compelling recruiting method and attracts potential learners.
- You Can Allow More Online Courses: With video-based learning programs, you can offer students numerous online courses, extending your appeal to learners.
- Act as Additional Resources: Video-based learning is easily integrated into the learning management system of an institution. When you upload a video to the institution’s LMS, that video acts as an additional resource for teachers and students.
- Best for Kindergarten to Intermediate: Institutions with K-12 standards are more likely to avail of benefits as kids and teenagers can understand seamlessly with visual and audible representation.
- Enhance Engagement: For a teacher, students’ engagement in the lesson is crucial. Video-based learning helps improve students’ attention and makes them interested in a topic to enhance achievement.
- Blended Learning Atmosphere: Video-based learning allows blended learning programs or a flipped classroom for students. Moreover, it is also advantageous for teachers who teach students in traditional settings.
- Versatile: Using videos in the classroom enables versatility as a teacher can skip, rewind, pause, or play the video anytime to review or discuss the lesson with students.
- Remote Learning: It is very important to adopt video-based learning as it allows remote education for students and ensures that teachers and students may interact with each other from anywhere.
- Assistance and Feedback: Video-based learning assists students and gives feedback via video. This is useful for students who require reviews or tutoring sessions.
- Analytics: Teachers can track learners’ attendance and engagement while viewing videos. This provides teachers with the ability to measure the effectiveness of the lessons.
- Engaging Experience: Video-based learning methods are more appealing as sensory learning than print materials. Students can hear and see the concept of the lesson and can easily execute it similarly to usual interactions.
- Microlearning: With short videos, students can understand basic concepts in just a minute. Both students and teachers do not have to sit for hours and learn unnecessary information.
- Increase Retention: Video-based learning is beneficial in increasing learner retention since students can replay or stop the playback any number of times. Moreover, with the multiple elements, videos help engage learners through various senses to offer increased memory retention and a stimulating experience.
- Boost Proficiency: The video-based learning method is very useful as it boosts proficiency in communication and digital literacy, as both skills are very beneficial for learners.
- Go-To Resource: Videos act as a go-to resource that learners can watch from any part of the planet using the internet. Moreover, videos are accessible on various devices such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops. This allows students to view videos conveniently from anywhere.
- Cover All Subjects: Video-based learning aids the learner in learning all subjects. Students can easily understand complex topics with a visual representation.
Implementation of Effective Video-Based Learning
If you want all the benefits of video-based learning, then you must implement an effective strategy for your videos. Here are some tips you can use to make your video effective:
Choose Suitable Topics
Video creators should cover the topic the learner is looking for and avoid irrelevant ones. An irrelevant topic will end in losing learners’ interest and attention.
Avoid Lengthy Content
Always remember, short information with the best explanation attracts learners. Ask video creators to keep content short and in easily understandable language.
Make Videos Interactive
Add interactive elements in the videos so learners can participate in the content to acquire more knowledge.
Make Videos Engaging
Videos with more visuals and audio are much more engaging than only text-based videos. So creators should accompany various visual elements to convey the lesson.
Institutions and organizations that use video-based learning are much more engaging than others. Unlike other learning formats, videos convey better lessons due to their various elements such as graphics, audio, video, text, etc. Thus, not only can learners gain with video-based learning, but so can an institution.
So, incorporate a video-based learning program in your institution to avail yourself of numerous benefits.