The AI market will grow to a $190 billion industry by 2025, according to research firm Markets and Markets. AI has become almost omnipresent in our lives. In fact, some people are even scared of a complete AI win over humans! While that is certainly an exaggeration, we have nonetheless weaved AI into our daily lives and activities. Even a simple search on Google uses AI to provide you with the most accurate results.
AI has been beneficial in a wide range of industries for things such as optimizing logistics, detecting fraud, composing art, conducting research, providing translations, and many other tasks. There’s hardly a field that has not benefited from AI. In medicine, for example, AI has been used in the diagnosis of cancer, strokes, as well as broken bones. In the education sector, AI is being utilized at all levels, not only in teaching but in other systems that greatly influence academia. It is also widely used by enterprises for employee training. A lot of enterprises have already incorporated AI in their learning strategy.
Table of Contents:
- Why is AI Important in Learning and Development?
- What is the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Learning and Development?
- 6 Tech Innovations of Artificial Intelligence in Learning and Development
Why is AI Important in Learning and Development?
AI, or artificial intelligence, is the computer system simulation of human intelligence processes. In learning and development, AI can enhance and augment learners’ educational experiences.
Here’s how AI contributes in learning and development:
- Personalized Learning: AI enables personalized learning experiences for each learner. This can be done by analyzing the learner’s performance and adapting the curriculum or content to their needs and preferences.
- Intelligent Tutoring Systems: AI-powered tutoring systems can provide learners personalized feedback and guidance as they work through the curriculum. These systems can also analyze learners’ performance and adapt the instruction to their needs.
- Automated Content Creation: AI can create educational content, such as videos, quizzes, and other interactive materials. This can save time and resources for educators and trainers.
- Adaptive Testing: AI can create adaptive tests that adjust the difficulty of the questions based on the learner’s performance. This can provide a more accurate assessment of the learner’s knowledge and skills.
- Chatbots and virtual assistants: AI-powered chatbots and virtual assistants can provide learners with 24/7 support, answering their questions and providing guidance on the material.
- Predictive analytics: AI can predict student performance, identify at-risk students, and provide personalized interventions that can help them improve.
AI in Learning and Development is a fast-growing field, and new ways of using AI in education are constantly emerging. The goal of using AI in education is to enhance the learning experience, improve the effectiveness of instruction, and provide learners with more personalized and efficient education.
What is the Role of Artificial Intelligence in Learning and Development?
1. Identifying Knowledge Gaps
Most enterprise learning strategies depend on holistic teaching. What we mean is, they have the same course materials for all employees. However, not all employees are the same. Some may already have a skill that the job needs. So, forcing them to learn what they already know is not a very effective strategy. AI has the capability to analyze huge data sets and derive conclusions using technologies like machine learning and predictive analysis. AI can also create learner profiles combining disparate data sources, something that will take days if done manually. It can successfully identify the skills missing in your employees, automatically, in a short time.
In fact, this concept is already in use. Popular online training providers can use AI to measure learner performance, skills, and knowledge gaps in an organization. Once the gap is identified, the L&D team can work on adapting their training approach to meet the knowledge gap. This makes learning more effective and doesn’t waste crucial employee hours.
2. Suggest the Most Appropriate Content
AI can identify knowledge gaps and then automatically scan for the most appropriate content for the learner. All of us know how that works as we have all used Google to search for information.
Just like Google, AI can scan the internet, LMS, your proprietary content, and other sources to auto-suggest the most relevant content. This approach saves learners’ time as they don’t have to manually go through multiple pages of search results for hours.
3. Creation of Digital Content
Creating educational content is time-consuming and challenging. For this reason, most enterprises outsource their content creation at a huge cost. AI can come in here and help organizations save time and cost. We discussed how AI can source information snippets and digital resources from the internet and other connected platforms. The same technology can also consolidate them and present them in an easy-to-understand manner.
AI, through natural language processing, can even convert videos into texts. You can convert whole podcasts, webinars, and lectures into written words without any effort. It’s the same way by which YouTube provides automatic subtitles in videos.
4. Personalize Learning According to the Learner
AI can personalize learning according to the pace, age, gender, and demographics of the learner. It can release materials to the employee gradually as s/he finishes a chapter or a module.
For example, you want to train an experienced employee in customer management. AI can automatically scan the employee’s skills and skip the basic training materials to suggest advanced resources. The technology is even fit to align learning with the employee’s learning style. Research has shown that each of us learn in a different style. Men learn better in some ways, while females have their own learning styles. Older adults, again, have a preferred way of learning that is not very effective in the case of youngsters. AI can track and identify employee learning styles, and then optimize the learning experience for the best results. Personalized learning makes way for greater retention, higher recall, and improved learning.
5. AI as a 24/7 Digital Tutor
AI eliminates the need for a human trainer to some extent. Your employees may have many questions while they are undergoing training or taking a new course. Most of these queries are common and standard for all learners. In traditional approaches, the employees would have to wait for the trainer to resolve their queries. This means they have to wait for the availability of the trainer.
AI can help address these queries and even provide accurate answers. Enterprises can use chatbots based on AI to help learners get answers to the most common questions. The whole process is carried out in the form of human conversation, just as you chat with a customer care representative.
6. Seamless Assessments and Instant Feedback
Enterprises will not need human efforts for the assessment of learning. AI-driven tools can gather information, evaluate performance, check answer sheets, and provide accurate results. Employees can get feedback instantly and get to know how they performed. AI can be used to deliver any type of assessment as long as it’s digital. You can develop a range of assessment techniques and deliver them to your employees. Additionally, AI can even help personalize assessments. Most tests or quizzes are developed based on a ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach. They don’t consider IQ, skills, or other such factors.
Using AI, employees can take tests based on their capabilities, skills, and level of learning. This creates a much more accurate system of performance evaluation and eliminates situations where some find the test too hard, and others find it too easy.
7. Developing Crucial Insights
AI can mine LMS data, and employee performance, collect feedback, and make way for a range of analytics. Enterprises can use the data to form insights into their learning and development. They can find out the effectiveness of courses, areas of improvement, and crucial trends and patterns.
The insight can help you refine your content, courses, and training strategy for better results. AI can do the work of collecting data continuously so that you can always make informed business decisions.
6 Tech Innovations of Artificial Intelligence in Learning and Development
- Personalized learning: AI can be used to create personalized learning experiences that are tailored to the individual needs and preferences of learners. For example, AI-powered learning platforms can assess a learner’s progress and adjust the content and difficulty of the material accordingly.
- Adaptive learning: AI can be used to create adaptive learning systems that can adjust to a learner’s progress and provide additional support or challenge as needed.
- Automated grading: AI can be used to grade assignments and assessments, freeing up instructors to focus on more high-level tasks such as providing feedback and engaging with students.
- Learning analytics: AI can be used to analyze data on student learning and performance and provide insights that can be used to improve the learning experience and inform instructional decisions.
- Virtual instructors: AI can be used to create virtual instructors or tutors that can provide personalized instruction and feedback to learners.
- Translation: AI can be used to translate course materials and other learning resources into different languages, making them more accessible to learners around the world.
Read More: 7 Benefits of Using AR and VR Technology in Employee Training
AI is one of the most promising technologies that can revolutionize learning and development. Many enterprises have already stepped in to make the most of AI and dedicated due investments. AI is ideal for making learning fast and increase the rate of completion. Not only can it enhance learning, but also improve efficiency, engagement, interactivity, and recall.
Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org for implementing AI-based workforce learning solutions.
AI-Powered Learning – Transforming Employee Training Across Industries