If we look at the history of human civilization, the one thing that has stayed constant is learning. Back in 3000 BCE, the Sumerians learned using cuneiforms or pictographs on clay tablets. The Egyptians used papyrus rolls.
Then around 500 BCE, we were introduced to paper as the first books came into place.
The most recent change in learning is the use of technology through various e-learning models that are constantly evolving.
We are in a time and age when online training platforms are the norm, and e-learning is becoming something we cannot do without. The final push was provided by the COVID-19 pandemic.
But how do you choose the learning platform for you? We bring you a list of the 20 best online training platforms. Here goes.
What is Online Learning/Training?
Before we get to the list of the best online training platforms, here’s a little bit about what online learning is. It is the practice of receiving education online using a variety of multimedia and Internet-based platforms and tools.
It is also called e-learning, computer-assisted education, web-based learning, and Internet-based learning.
The classrooms are completely virtual.
The global e-learning market is projected to reach a market size of USD 848.12 billion, including the region of North America, with a CAGR of 17.54%. This shows how well e-learning is performing and attracting investment.
Benefits of Online Learning
The U.S. Department of Education did a detailed study on the usage of technology in learning and listed its many benefits.
- It can be personalized for every learner.
- It can have higher engagement.
- It encourages learning around real-world challenges and project-based tasks.
- It goes beyond the classroom and can be done virtually from anywhere.
- It increases accessibility for all kinds of learners.
20 Best Online Training Platforms of 2023 and 3 Reasons Why
While curating this list of the best online training platforms, we have kept popularity, features, reviews, the richness of course materials, teachers’ qualifications, the variety of courses, and ease of use in mind.
Along with listing down the best online training platforms, we have also given you three reasons why they are the best.
1. Hurix Digital
- Has a wide variety of gamified elearning options that increases retention and engagement
- Also offers scenario-based learning to understand real-life applicability
- Has the option for bite-sized learning for education on the go
- Also provides learning paths which are a series of courses that can help one upskill and learn a range of things to achieve the desired objective
- Offers a responsive, attractive, state-of-the-art Learning Management System (LMS)
- A not-for-profit organization providing learning from famous institutions like Harvard, along with teachers and alumni as mentors and coaches
- It also provides MicroMasters degree programs for in-depth remote education
- It has several richly designed courses that are accessible with verified certifications at no charge
3. Linkedin Learning
- It offers special video courses conducted by professionals in the field
- It includes programs for advancing one’s career and business with real-life applications
- It gives course recommendations that are specifically tailored based on your LinkedIn profile
- It offers a wide range of courses on various topics
- Most of these courses are at really affordable prices
- It gives lifetime access to course materials
- It has partnered with A-league universities and institutions for high-quality courses
- Offers specializations for in-depth learning
- Verified certificates are available for many courses, even highly niche ones
- Is excellent for people who want to learn creative skills like photography, design, and such
- Offers free trials to get a glimpse
- Highly-affordable courses
- Offers celebrity-taught courses
- Has courses for practical skills like cooking, writing, and more
- Has free trial periods
- Focuses on coding-related courses
- Shares interactive coding exercises for enhanced learning
- The courses are free for all
- Offers courses from top European universities known for their teaching expertise
- Has free as well as paid courses with certificates
- Specializes in higher education, especially Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Creates direct student-teach interaction by allowing instructors to create their own courses
- Has tools for marketing and course creation
- Has interesting features for student support and engagement
- Offers nano-degree programs in IT and technology in sync with the trend of micro and in-depth learning
- Has personalized career coaching
- Offers job placement assistance
- Has a focus on language learning
- Also includes speech recognition for pronunciation practice
- Has immersive courses to boost engagement
13. The New York Times Cooking
- Is a specific learning platform that focuses on cooking and food education
- Offers courses and recipes taught by top chefs and experts from around the globe
- Includes articles and guides for culinary education on the go
14. Yale Online
- Has off-beat and mainstream courses taught by industry experts and top instructors
- Offers a chance to learn from one of the world’s oldest universities
- Includes interesting practical exercises
- Focuses on career development and tech skills
- Has personalized support and career guidance
- Offers boot camps in web development, UX design, and other in-demand skills
- Focuses on the trending skill of data science and analytics
- Offers hands-on learning
- Has progress tracking and personalized learning features
- Offers free online flashcards, study guides, and quizzes as interesting learning elements
- Includes a variety of subjects and courses to choose from
- Offers personalized learning paths and progress tracking
- Offers insightful online courses and degrees from top universities and organizations
- Includes courses in a variety of subjects, including business, health, and science
- Offers a certificate of completion for most courses
19. Open Culture
- Offers completely free online courses from top universities around the world
- Includes courses in a variety of subjects, including business, humanities, and science
- Offers progress tracking and reporting for students
20. MIT Open Learning
- Publishes materials from over 2500 courses (undergraduate and graduate) from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), free for all
- Includes courses in a variety of subjects, including engineering, science, and humanities, in an easily accessible format
- Offers blended learning experiences, progress tracking, boot camps, and reporting for students
Elliot Masie, an educational technology expert, said, “We need to bring learning to people instead of people to learning.”
When you pick from this list of the best online training platforms for your learning needs and get started, you’ll get a first-hand experience of all that we have said in this article.
Keep learning, and keep growing! We hope this helps. For more, you can get in touch with us at Hurix Digital to explore how you can take higher education to the next level. We offer instructional design services and help organizations develop competency-based education, among other things.