The measure of intelligence is the ability to change
This is the digital era where everyone is migrating to a digital environment. In order to stay competitive, every organization must adapt to the latest developments and technologies to be of service to the respective community. This blog is all about Digital Conversion Services that Hurix has been offering to their clients over the years.
Hurix always looks at improving skill-set and technology to stay competent by challenging their own growth and talent pool. We believe even if there is a micro-sized experimentation, a macro-sized outcome is possible. We look for opportunities to satisfy diverse client requirements and have been providing Digital Conversion Services to our renowned clients for many years. The major digital conversion service renderings include the following:
- XML Conversion
- Reflowable ePUB conversion
- Content Ingestion
- Accessible PDF Creation
As is well-known, XML is the leading digital publishing format which displays and stores information online. Any type of formatted documents are turned into pure information, ready to be displayed virtually anywhere, making it expandable and reinterpretable across several output media. We have immense experience in developing XML Workflow for Books and Journals for leading publishers. Some of our XML-related conversion services include the following:
(1) XML Conversion from various source files like Hard Copy, Scanned Pages, PDF, Word, InDesign, Quark, XML,HTML etc.
(2) DTD, XSL Development
(3) XML to PDF, HTML, Word, ePub, Mobi Conversion
(4) Online XML QA Services in HWX, Atypon Platforms etc., (Hosting, QA and Corrections).
We have also dealt with varied DTD/Schemas based on client requirements for a number of publishers, and some of the services include (a) JATS Standard, (b) NLM Standard, (c) DocBook Standard, (d) NIMAS-XML Standard, (e) Atypon DTD, (f) Relax NG, (g) Client Specific DTD/Schemas.
We offer online hosting services by ingesting and approving the content in the High Wire platform. The systematic stepwise uploading process includes-
(1) Uploading the final XML package (Full Text/Header) to the online platform (e.g., HWX Platform/Atypon etc.)
(2) Performing an online QA check in hosting platforms and ensuring the package is ready to be made live
(3) Using multiple levels of validation processes, which include parsing, in-house validation (client specification), schematron validation, PMC validation, consistency checking, and package validation to ensure 100% accuracy in first-time upload
(4) Finally, uploading the xml package on the platform and making it live within 24-48 hour time from the time of print PDF approval.
Reflowable ePUB Conversion
Hurix has helped reputed publishers globally in the conversion of Hardcopy/Scanned Images/Editable PDFs/Word documents into Reflowable ePub & Mobi, Fixed layout ePub & Mobi and XML formats. Our well-knitted team has the skill-set of converting any type of content to XML, ePub and Mobi format (Application files, Word document, scanned pages, hard copy, PDF documents, custom XML).
Till date, the conversion team has converted more than 20 million pages of content into Reflowable ePUB & Mobi formats and around 50 million pages of content in XML format based on various DTD/Schema. The key conversion projects that we have undertaken include ePUB conversion, ePUB enrichment, and eStore uploading.
Conversion services emphasize on
(1) conversion of ePUB 2.0, ePUB3 and Mobi formats from hardcopy, scanned images, print PDF, InDesign and XML;
(2) including ePUB3 features such as video, audio, font embedding, simple interactivities and Media Overlays;
(3) ability to handle content in different languages such as English, Spanish, French, German, and many more.
ePUB enrichments classify font embedding, video and audio embedding, word-level audio syncing, multiple-choice question, true/false activities, image popup, image slideshow, and more.
We also have experience in uploading the PDF and ePUB files in CoreSource platform. Our tracking platform shows more than 1000 titles uploaded to the CoreSource platform.
The process of uploading to eStore involves the following steps:
(a) uploading Final ePUB and PDF files to CoreSource URL/FTP
(b) checking for any errors while ingestion
(c) sending the ID to Production Editor; and (d) validating ePUB3 using ePUB checker
Also read, What is Epub3 conversion?
We have been successfully ingesting the relevant content into online Learning Management Systems (LMS), developing complex equations with MathML or LaTex/Tex coding, creating question banks and companion sites.
Accessible PDF Creation
We have a separate team supporting PDF creation from various formats. Some of the key areas include –
- Creating WCAG 2.1 AA complaint accessible PDF from InDesign and PDF formats
- Performing quality check for the files using NVDA and JAWS
- Validating the accessible PDF files by Adobe Acrobat DC Accessibility Checker, PAC (PDF Accessibility Checker), etc.
- ALT Text creation for photos, graphs, charts, and equations and inserting alt text into PDF
At Hurix, we believe working with dedication and passion helps in expansion of opportunities. We have been the preferred partner for conversion services for many of our clients, the key reasons being quality and on-time delivery. Our ability to deliver projects successfully with high quality sets us apart from the competition. Get in touch with us if you want to leverage any of our digital conversion services.