Testing is an essential part of product development, one that helps guarantee the quality of the product. Software tests need to be repeated several times during the development cycle to ensure quality. For every release, it has to be tested on all operating systems and hardware configurations.
Automation testing or test automation uses open source or paid automated testing tools to test software applications quickly and efficiently, and 24/7 without human intervention. Automated software testing can reveal the memory contents, data tables, and file contents; this helps to determine if the programme is functioning as required.
With test automation, one can execute thousands of varied and lengthy test cases that are impossible in manual testing. It can increase the depth of tests to improve software quality.
It is advantageous as it performs the tasks of many manual testers, and improves overall accuracy with little or no manual intervention. As pre-written scripts are tested, this ensures that software of standard quality is released.
Automation testing follows a testing framework approach. The most common ones being, keyword driven framework, data driven framework, linear scripting framework and modular testing framework.
Here are some of the advantages of automation testing:
1. Increase in test coverage: More scripts can be tested at the same time, resulting in an increase in the test coverage. It helps save time and takes the load off of manual testers.
2. Greater accuracy: Continuous testing increases chances of errors while done manually, but in automated testing, repetitive tests can be performed with the same precision.
3. Cost saving: With automated testing, the test cases run at a faster speed and bugs are identified early on in the development cycle and fixed. Despite high initial costs, once the automated framework is set up, there is an overall reduction in the costs.
4. Reduces regression testing time: Automated regression practiced with testing tools allows manual testers to be freed from running monotonous regression tests. The testers get time to perform value-add tasks.
5. Performs tasks that cannot be done by manual testers: Certain tests such as the controlled web application tests can be simulated with automated testing, but cannot be performed by manual testers.
6. Time-saving: With automated testing, manual scripts are also automated and regression testing time is reduced. As tests are run 24/7, automated testing saves time.
7. Reusability of test scripts: In automated testing, the same script can be used with minor changes. Thus, reusability of test scripts facilitates the process of testing, and also, the same scripts can be stored and reused for repeating the test when the need arises.
8. Helpful to testers: Since tests can run automatically when the source code changes and notify the testers of any issue, it is very helpful to both testers and developers.
9. Return on investment is high: Automations help businesses complete the testing process faster with greater accuracy and coverage, thereby resulting in high return of investment.
With increasingly complex applications in place, and with businesses demanding faster releases of standard quality products, automated testing is an effective process which helps improve both test efficiency and coverage.
At Hurix Digital, we provide QA services with the test automation framework built in-house. Our team of QA professionals use various testing techniques and follow the best industry standards and practices. So if you are looking for an automation testing service, get in touch with us.
Need to know more about our Products & Services ? Drop us a Note.