Learning analytics is the process of analyzing data to better understand learning and teaching processes. The field has been growing rapidly in recent years.
A report by Verified Market Research predicts that the analytics as a service provider market will expand to $101.29 billion by 2026. There are now many different tools and techniques available to help educators and trainers use the vast amounts of data generated in the process of teaching and learning.
However, managing learning analytics can be daunting, especially for organizations with limited resources or expertise. In such cases, learning analytics outsourcing services can be a viable option.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of outsourcing learning analytics and discuss some key considerations when selecting analytics as a service (AaaS) providers.
Why is Learning Analytics Important for Organizations?
By analyzing data generated during the training process, organizations can identify areas for improvement, measure the effectiveness of training programs, and make better-informed decisions about their training strategies.
Here are some of the most important reasons why learning analytics is important for organizations:
- Identify Areas for Improvement: Learning analytics can help organizations identify areas of weakness in their training programs. They can determine which topics learners struggle with and which training methods are most effective.
- Measure Training Effectiveness: Learning analytics can help organizations measure the effectiveness of their training programs. Organizations can determine if the training program is achieving its desired outcomes, such as increased knowledge or skills.
- Improve Learner Engagement: Learning analytics can help organizations identify factors that affect learner engagement. By analyzing data on learner behavior, they can determine which learning activities are most engaging and make adjustments to improve learner engagement.
- Personalize Learning: Learning analytics can help organizations personalize the learning experience for each learner. Analyzing data on learner behavior can identify individual learning styles and preferences and tailor the training program to meet the needs of each learner.
Challenges in Managing Learning Analytics In-house
While there are benefits to having an in-house team dedicated to learning analytics, there are also several challenges that organizations must overcome.
Here are some of the most common hurdles of managing learning analytics in-house:
- Data Management: Managing data is a complex and time-consuming process. Collecting, processing, and analyzing data requires specialized knowledge and expertise. Organizations may not have the resources or the knowledge to manage large amounts of data effectively.
- Expertise: Building an in-house team with the necessary expertise can be difficult. Data scientists, learning designers, and learning technologists are all necessary to build an effective learning analytics program. Finding and retaining talent with these specialized skills can be challenging.
- Infrastructure: Building and maintaining the necessary infrastructure for learning analytics can be costly. Organizations must invest in the hardware, software, and systems required to collect and analyze data. In addition, they must ensure that their infrastructure is secure and meets compliance requirements.
- Scalability: As the volume of data grows, organizations must ensure that their learning analytics program can scale to meet demand. Building a scalable program can be difficult and expensive, requiring significant investments in technology and infrastructure.
- Time: Building an effective learning analytics program requires time and resources. Organizations must invest in data collection, analysis, and reporting, which can divert resources from other business activities.
- Focus: Finally, building an in-house learning analytics program can divert the organization’s focus from its core business activities. Organizations must balance the benefits of learning analytics with the need to focus on their core competencies.
Benefits of Learning Analytics Outsourcing Services
Learning analytics outsourcing services can provide several benefits for organizations. By partnering with experienced and reliable analytics as a service providers, organizations can leverage advanced analytics tools and techniques, gain access to expertise, and reduce costs.
Here are some of the most significant benefits of outsourcing learning analytics services:
- Access to Expertise: Analytics as a service providers have extensive experience in data analysis, learning design, and learning technology. They can provide access to a team of experts with the skills and knowledge required to build an effective learning analytics program.
- Cost Savings: Outsourcing learning analytics services can be more cost-effective than building an in-house team. AaaS providers can leverage economies of scale and provide services at a lower cost than an in-house team.
- Scalability: Analytics as a service providers can scale their services to meet the needs of the organization. As the volume of data grows, they can adjust their services to accommodate the increased demand.
- Advanced Analytics Tools and Techniques: AaaS providers have access to advanced analytics tools and techniques that may not be available to many organizations. These tools and techniques can provide deeper insights into the learning process and help organizations make better-informed decisions.
- Focus on Core Competencies: Outsourcing learning analytics services allows organizations to focus on their core competencies. By partnering with an AaaS provider, organizations can free up resources to focus on their core business activities.
- Reduced Risk: Analytics as a service providers can help organizations reduce the risk of data breaches and security incidents. They can provide robust data security measures, ensure that the organization’s data is stored securely, and comply with relevant regulations.
- Flexibility: AaaS providers can provide customized solutions that meet the organization’s unique needs. They can work with the organization to design a solution that meets their specific requirements.
Overall, outsourcing learning analytics services can provide several benefits for organizations. By partnering with an analytics company, organizations can access expertise, and advanced analytics tools and techniques, reduce costs, and focus on their core competencies.
Security Considerations for Learning Analytics Outsourcing Services
When outsourcing learning analytics services, it is essential to consider security and data privacy. Organizations must assess if their data is secure and complies with relevant regulations. Here are some security considerations for outsourcing learning analytics:
- Data Protection: The organization’s data is its most valuable asset. The analytics as a service provider must have robust data security measures, including encryption, access controls, and secure data storage.
- Compliance: Organizations must ensure that their data complies with relevant regulations, such as GDPR or CCPA. The AaaS provider must have policies and procedures to ensure compliance with these regulations.
- Data Ownership: Organizations must clarify who owns the data collected by the analytics as a service provider. The organization must retain ownership of the data and have the right to access and control it.
- Confidentiality: Organizations must check if their data is kept confidential and not shared with unauthorized parties. The AaaS provider must have appropriate confidentiality agreements with its employees and contractors.
- Vendor Security: Organizations must ensure that the analytics as a service provider has appropriate security measures to protect its infrastructure, applications, and networks. Further, they should check if the AaaS provider has implemented the necessary security controls to protect the data.
- Service Level Agreements: Organizations must establish service level agreements with the analytics as a service provider. These agreements should specify the level of service the organization expects, including the security controls that the AaaS provider must implement.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity: Organizations must ensure that the analytics as a service provider has appropriate disaster recovery and business continuity plans. These plans should ensure that the organization’s data is protected and accessible in the event of a disaster.
Learning analytics can provide valuable insights into the learning and training process, but managing analytics can be challenging. Outsourcing learning analytics services can provide access to expertise, cost savings, and better data insights.
When selecting analytics as a service providers, organizations should consider factors such as expertise, tools and techniques, security, cost, and flexibility. Organizations can then unlock the full potential of their data and make better-informed decisions about their training programs.
Hurix Digital is an all-in-one learning analytics outsourcing services provider, providing corporate learning solutions and online teaching platforms for educational institutions and enterprises. Get in touch with us to learn more.