Deciding between Google Classroom and Moodle? Explore the strengths of each to find your perfect fit. Google Classroom excels in user-friendliness with G Suite integration, ideal for schools. Meanwhile, Moodle offers scalability and customization, catering to both educational and corporate environments. Discover the best choice for your needs.
Explore the choice between Google Classroom and Moodle in our insightful guide. Uncover which platform suits your needs best, whether it’s Google’s user-friendly interface tailored for schools or Moodle’s versatile, customizable eLearning solution suitable for both educational and corporate settings. Make an informed decision for your learning journey today.
Though these two platforms serve a similar purpose, Google classroom vs Moodle comparison helps us understand the different approaches towards online learning.
In recent times, online learning has witnessed exponential growth. Following this, learning management systems have advanced in functionalities and become easier to access. The improved quality of LMS has encouraged a lot of K-12 schools and educational institutions to optimize their learning environment through an LMS.
Google Classroom and Moodle are two such LMS platforms that aim at improving the learning experience in K-12 and higher education domains.
Table of Contents:
- What is Google Classroom?
- What is Moodle?
- What is the Key Difference Between Google Classroom and Moodle?
- Comparison of Google Classroom VS Moodle
What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is part of the G Suite for Education. It provides a simple and straightforward interface and is accessible via Google account. It encourages collaboration between students and teachers to foster better communication.
What is Moodle?
Moodle provides educators around the world with an open-source solution for eLearning that is scalable, customizable, and secure with the largest selection of activities available. It is based on a modular design that allows educators to design their curriculum using plug-ins to serve various purposes.
What is the Key Difference Between Google Classroom and Moodle?
Through this article, we will draw a comparison of Google classroom vs Moodle and understand which can cater to your needs better.
Google Classroom is a cloud-based LMS while Moodle offers both, on-premise & cloud-based deployment. The cloud-based platform – MoodleCloud, comes in two packages: Moodle for Free and Moodle for School.
Though Google Classroom offers a simple interface, it is a well-equipped LMS. Following are some of its core features:
|· Platform branding for school logos
· Ability to reuse tests, and assignments, for future classes
· Share videos, links, or images with other students
· Schedule posting of assignments
· Export grades to a Google sheet
|· Set access permissions
· Email and mobile notifications of due dates
· Free access to Google Apps for Education
· Guardian emails & calendar
· Customized notifications
Moodle promotes a conducive learning environment. Its general features are listed below:
|· Mobile app
· Multi-lingual support
· BigBlueButton for video conferencing
· LevelUP, a gamification module including progressive checkpoints
· Chemistry Editor for chemistry assignments
|· Content authoring tools
· Attendance tracking
· WordCount for writing assignments
· Quizventure for gamification of quizzes and tests
· Group Choice for group projects
|· Strong collaborative focus
· Easy to set up classes & assignments
· Integrates with other Google products
· Integrates with other educational apps
· Keeps guardians updated
|· Flexible deployment options
· Teachers can design their curriculum
· Dedicated Moodle mobile app
· Highly customizable
· Provides custom certificates
|· Not available for businesses
· Limited tech support is offered to the users
· Accounts for parents aren’t offered
|· Ads displayed in free accounts
· School plans can only accommodate up to 500 users
· The interface is not always intuitive
Easy integration with various education applications is one of the best features of Google Classroom. It provides smooth integration with applications like Squigi, Writable, Pearson Education, Activity Learn, Aeris, Google apps, and G Suite.
Moodle has integrations that are paid add-ons to enhance your learning environment. Some of the certified integrations for Moodle are – BigBlueButton, Bongo, Intelliboard, SimCheck, GO1, JFusion, Joomdle, and Promoodle.
Google Classroom is a free service. Schools and colleges have to register for the free Google education package.
The open-source platform of Moodle is free to download and install. However, Moodle Cloud offers its services with three paid plans.
- $250 AUD or $190 USD for up to 100 users
- $500 AUD or $380 USD for up to 200 users
- $1000 AUD or $760 USD for up to 500 users
Google Classroom and Moodle differ in their approach to providing a compelling learning environment.
Google Classroom’s simple structure suits new users who are unfamiliar to an LMS, and also for schools that have more than 500 students.
Moodle LMS might serve better if you are equipped with advanced technical knowledge. If you don’t have to accommodate more than 500 students, Moodle can be a better choice.
Listen to how Google Classroom helped teachers and students to enhance the learning experience.
Here is a one-minute quick overview of the Moodle learning platform.